Fishing FAQs

Home // Fishing // FAQs Reports | Fishing Maps | Guides | Bait/Tackle | Species | Ramps | Bowfishing | Rules & Regs | FAQs

Fishing - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a License?

A: On Kentucky Lake, anglers with either a valid Kentucky or Tennessee sport fishing license may fish from Eggner's Ferry Bridge (U.S. 68 and Hwy. 80) in Kentucky south to the Governor Ned McWhorter Bridge (U.S. 79 and Hwy. 76) in Tennessee. This includes all embayments and tributaries, except the Blood River embayment in Kentucky. Anglers must abide by the fishing regulations of the state in which they are fishing.

Q. How is a daily creel limit different than a possession limit?

A. The daily creel limit is the number of a particular sport fish species you may keep in one day's fishing. A possession limit is two times the daily creel limit for all fish species with a daily creel limit and excludes processed fish.

Q. Is fishing allowed around a dock or a marina?

A. It depends. Public marinas on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Lakes have a contractual agreements that address lease space on public water. The Corps presently allows the marina owners or operators to post signs that prohibit fishing within 150 feet of their floating structures. These agreements do not prohibit a person from fishing in their boat rental slip. This policy does not apply to privately owned boat docks on Corps lakes.

Q. May you clean your fish while on the water?

A. Anglers shall not remove any part of the head or tail of any fish for which there is a size or creel limit until finished fishing and off the water.

Q. How many fishing poles are you allowed to have while fishing?

A. As many as you want. There is no limit on the number of fishing poles (or fishing rods) an angler may use at one time.

Q. How can I get KDFWR to stock my pond? If I have my pond stocked by the KDFWR, do I have to let the public fish it?

A. The deadline to apply for the pond stocking program for new or renovated ponds is September 1 annually and there is a fee. Call 1-800-858-1549 for application and fees. You do not have to let the public fish in ponds stocked by KDFWR.

Q. Do I need a license if I'm just helping my children/youth fish?

A. If you are ONLY watching you do not need a fishing license. However, if you are assisting, state law requires you to be licensed.

Q. I have a private pond….Is there a creel limit?

A. Yes, same as statewide.

Q. Where can I fish?

A. There are many places to fish in Kentucky, from public lakes, to state parks, to Sunday afternoon lakes and more.

Q: Can I gig, snag, jug, etc. in Kentucky Lake or Lake Barkley?

A: Yes. See this link for details and regulations.